January 30, 2009

Being more Green


So we are on our second bottle of sodium laureth sulphate free shampoo.  I am not sure if it is just that the second bottle isn't working well but my hair is NASTY!!  Here I was thinking I might try no-poo (using baking soda and vinegar), but now I am too scared.  

So I thought I would try Lush's shampoo bars, because there is no packaging.  I got them home and was all excited until I read the ingredients and saw they have SLS in them!! UGH!  I just can't win.  I don't like to be wasteful so I will use them up, and hopefully next time around I can find one that is both SLS-free and comes in a bar.

FYI why SLS is bad (without getting into details - you can do a search):
1: Can penetrate eyes and tissues and can stay in the tissues... especially children and babies
2: Strips moisture & oils away = damaged hair and skin
3: Can apparently cause damage to DNA in cells according to Japanese studies
4: Forms Nitrates - carcinogen 
5: Produces Nitrosamines - carcinogen

I have also started using the popular Dr. Bronner's soap.  I am loving it!  It smells so nice and seems to do a great job.  People use it for everything.  I am thinking we will need to go on a monthly trip to The Big Carrot (great natural product/ food store).

We have been using green versions of every cleaning product and I only use vinegar and water to clean with now.  I am a bit of a neat/ clean freak and I am very happy with all these products.   I really got into this before I started TTC because I wanted to avoid exposure to toxins as much as possible.

2 comments:

MamaWestWind said...

Hey! I was trying to find a good shampoo as well. I have tried vinegar and baking soda and I like it. My hair has volume for the first time ever! The only thing I don't like about it is the extra steps and time in the shower. I also have found that the T or tsp or whatever they recommend of baking soda per cup of water is too much for me. It leaves my hair feeling dry. Conditioner is a whole other deal. Coconut oil does not work for me. It never washes out.

B

Anonymous said...

Baking soda and vinegar is great. I used it for a while and my hair was so nice and manageable. I just kept a container of baking soda in the shower and put a little bit in my hand and mixed it with water to make a paste and scrubbed it in my hairline then washed it out, followed by filling a glass with a capfull of apple cider vinegar and water and rinsing with that. I tried to wash my hair maybe once or twice a week, and really tried to only do my bangs if I needed to, and after about a month my hair got used to it and was great :)